Monday, May 19, 2008

A Little Bump in the Road

Last year when we came to Hilton Head are kids were almost at the age where were could just go from activity to activity with minimal effort. This year Noah and Owen are there, they can swim without us in the water, they love to play on the beach for hours, and they always want to know what fun thing we are going to do next. We don't need a lot of equipment and they can carry their own stuff. Well, we have one small problem with all of this....Connor! He is far from being even close to any of that and he requires a lot of equipment and effort. Today was one of those days and I asked myself "What were we thinking coming on vacation with a 5 month old and of all places the beach?" You see last night was probably one of the worst nights we have had with Connor since he has been born. I think I slept for about two hours. I couldn't figure out what was wrong and when morning came I was exhausted. The day continued like the night. He was fussy all day, hardly slept and was never content for more then 20 minutes at a time. As I was trying to calm him down by walking up and down the beach I was starting to get frustrated, really frustrated. I then saw Chris, Noah, and Owen playing football in the ocean. They were jumping waves, riding on Chris' back, laughing and just having the best time. This is when I realized why we are here and why we go through so much trouble when it would of been a lot easier to just be at home. It is about spending time together somewhere different, doing something different away from the distractions of the world. It is about creating memories for my boys. Connor won't remember this vacation but Noah and Owen will remember their time here and playing in the ocean with their dad. So, when people ask me "Is it really a vacation when you have three kids? Is it worth it?" Yes and yes! It is a chance to get away and once they are gone I will have plenty of time to go on more relaxing vacations and I will miss these days. Is it worth it? Ask my kids 10 years from now and see what they say. Enjoy the pictures from another great day.

Connor got to check out the ocean today and I am not really sure what he thought about the whole thing. After a morning at the beach we had lunch and heading to the pool for an afternoon of swimming. The boys made friends with three other boys and they spent the rest of the afternoon in and out of the pool with them.













We finally did it! We exhausted Noah so much that he actually feel asleep before dinner!

No comments: