Thursday, April 10, 2008

Reality Check

Today was one of those days when I have too much to do and not enough time to do it in. I was tired from a couple of sleepless nights with Connor and I was starting to feel a little overwhelmed with stuff I need to do at home. Chris was working late so I was on my own tonight. I got home and the race began...unpack bags, put the house back in order (the rugs were cleaned today), check the mail, change the laundry, start making dinner, console a crying baby (the only thing that worked was me holding him), answer my sons in a somewhat nice way as my name was called every couple of minutes, give all three boys a bath, feed all three boys, make up Owen's bed because he had an accident last night, read bedtime stories, say our prayers, tuck them in, sit down to eat myself and finally off to the grocery store.

On my way to the grocery store I was having a not feeling so pretty moment and I was thinking when is this craziness going to slow down a little bit; when will I have some time for myself. After the grocery store I went to the gas station and I saw something that put all of this into reality...teenagers! It is spring break here this week so there were a bunch of teenagers hanging out and I realized my boys were going to be teenagers one day. One day they are going to be teenagers who hardly speak to me, who wear baggy pants, and just want to be with their friends. I will be at home worrying about them and what they are doing, what they aren't telling me, and who they are with. I will be worrying because I know what kind of teenager I was. They won't be cuddling up next to me, letting me read stories to them, tucking them into bed at night, or fighting over who gets to sit in my lap. I will someday miss this craziness and actually long for it back. I spend a lot of time waiting for the next stage in life when I should be enjoying every moment I have with them at this incredible stage. I am so lucky to have all this craziness in my life.

2 comments:

Katy McGuffey said...

I assume Chris got home so you could go to the store! :o) By the way, where did you get that beautiful blanket the boys are laying on?!

Kristin said...

My amazing friend made it for me!!