My best friend had her third baby on Thursday, Colin Nicholas. He was delivered c-section and was taken right away to the Special Care Nursery because he was having a hard time breathing. They thought he would get better, but the next day they transfered Kerry and Colin to another hospital. I am pasting what she sent to me in an email.
Although Colin arrived into this world very pink and with loud cries, while he was in the recovery room yesterday we noticed that his color wasn't very good. He was brought down to the Special Care Nursery at GFH to be evaluated. There they noticed that he was struggling to breath and his respiration's were very fast. They thought that it might be fluid in his lungs. He was kept in the Special Care Nursery and put under a oxygen hood. We couldn't hold him and he is eating only intravenously. They had hoped that he would be better by this morning, but he was actually getting worse. This morning, he was requiring more oxygen and working harder to breath. They decided to transport him to AlbanyMed's NICU. He got a very fancy ride in an ambulance down here. They now think he has RDS, Respiratory Distress Syndrome - kind of like his lungs are premature, although he is not premature. I don't really understand it all... He is now getting is oxygen support through C-Pap which gives him oxygen through pressure and doing ok keeping his oxygen levels up, but he is still working very hard to breath. They are considering intubating him so that he can get some rest from this hard work and special medication to help his lungs develop. I am getting very vague answers on how long he will be here, but do get a very positive feel from the staff that he will be ok in time and that he needs to just work through this.
Please pray that Colin gets better quickly and for Kerry, Nick (her husband) and their two daughters Natalie and Sadie. Kerry lives up in NY and I hate that I can't be there to help during this time. We have been best friends since the 8th grade. I did get an email late last night that said she got to hold him for the first time so that is great news! Thanks for praying and I will keep you updated.
No comments:
Post a Comment