Eight years ago I married my best friend. As I think about the past eight years I can't believe how much our lives have changed and how much we have experience. When I think about how much we have changed and grown I can't even imagine what God has in store for us for the next eight or for that matter the next 32 years! Over the past eight years we have built so many memories. We have been through many ups and downs through the past eight years. We are still learning new things about each other and learning how to be married. I think we will be for a long time. As we celebrate I wrote down eight memories I have over the past eight years. I thought of many, but I didn't want to pick the typical big milestones. I wanted to focus on those little things over the past eight years that make me love him more and more each year. They are in no kind or order.1. Our first Valentine's Day as a married couple I came home from work to a scavenger hunt around the house that lead me to a stuffed bear from Build a Bear. I loved the effort he put into the scavenger hunt, but I loved hearing him tell me the story of him being in that store buying the bear and the sales person making him go through all the stations the kids do. It stills make me laugh out loud when I think about him kissing the heart and making a wish before it goes into the bear. That is true love!
2. We moved here 4 years ago, excited about our new adventure. We lived in a two bedroom apartment and Chris was an assistant manager at Atlanta Cycling and I hadn't found a job yet. I remember getting his first paycheck and standing on our little porch of our apartment trying to figure out how we were going to make ends meet. I remember feeling very scared and started to question what we got ourselves into. I distinctly remember Chris telling me that not to worry, to have faith, everything was going to work out. He told me we didn't make a mistake and he hugged me as I cried. He was right! I can't believe how much God has taken care of us since that day in our little apartment.
3. Last year we spent a week together biking in California. The first full day of cycling was breathtaking. We rode along the coast of California up and down some major hills. That day was amazing. We were alone for most of the ride just enjoying the scenery and each other. I don't have much more to say then it was amazing!
4. Every year at Thanksgiving we go around the table and say the two thing we are thankful for. This year we were in NJ with everyone of my siblings and their spouses and the other Van Yperen family. It was Chris' turn and he started talking about how he is thankful for me and why. He pulled out a note I had left him months ago with a verse on it and started to read it. He never mentioned it to me that he got it or what he thought about it. He told everyone how much it meant to him and how he carried it around with him. I was blown away and of course crying!
5. For three years I worked as the Buckhead Weekday Director. I went through some major ups and downs. I questioned if what I was doing was making a difference, was it worth it? The second year I was there we put on a Christmas program and I was going through the what I am doing here stage of my job. After the program Chris was leaving and came over to say goodbye and hugged me and said "It is worth it! You are doing a great job and making a difference."
6. Last month we took a road trip. On our way from Georgia to NJ we started playing a game with the kids called "I'm thinking of an animal". Chris and I got to laughing so hard as we played this game with the kids. It was that uncontrollable laugh. I love how much we still laugh together.
7. On our honeymoon we went for a 22 mile hike in the Grand Tetons. I thought he was insane for wanting to do it, but like a good wife went along with it. It was truly one of the most amazing hikes we have ever done. It took us 9 hours and I remember talking and laughing the whole time. It was a challenge, but like always Chris pushed me and we did it.
8. We started doing family nights last year and one of our first was a Cowboy theme. We had a campfire so we could roast marshmallows. After we were done we went inside to get cleaned up and left the fire going in the pit. All of a sudden we hear Noah say "Daddy, the grass in on fire!" We look outside and sure enough the grass is on fire! We race outside and put it out and then just start laughing!
I could share so many more! For me it is the little things that keep our marriage going. I love you Chris! I love being married to you and love doing life with you!
6 comments:
Truly a beautiful marriage made in heaven. You two are the meaning of "marriage" and "best friend." Wishing you a lifetime of happiness.
Love Mom & Tom
That was a great post Kristin!
Hi you two love birds..Kristin, ..I was brought to tears reading that, and thankyou for sharing those beautiful memories with us. You two are a great example of what all families should be. May you both keep that love always... Love U.. Gram
Ditto, what David and Kate wrote! This was a wonderful post! What else can I say?
Love,
Mom
Congratulations 8 great years! You have a wonderful husband and Chris has an amazing wife. Keep Christ at the center of your marriage, and I'm sure you will have many, many more great years ahead of you!
this is awesome! You continue to amaze me for the incredible mom and wife you are. Those Willis boys are lucky!
Post a Comment