
We had our first death in the family this past Monday. Hadley our cat passed away. I woke up Monday morning and found him on our sun porch not moving. I knew something was wrong the minute I saw him. Let me give you the back history of Hadley. We got Hadley in June of 2006. Owen picked Hadley out and Hadley spent most of his first two months hiding from Owen because Owen loved this cat and would carry him around by his neck or squeezing him. See the picture to the left of Hadley's first couple of days with Owen. Hadley was a good cat, but also had an attitude. You never knew when he would leap out from behind a couch or bush to attack you. He was also the neighborhood bully, always causing fights. He was more my cat then anyones. He never would scratch or bite me, but he would pretty much do it to anyone else and it could be for no reason. All was good until I brought Connor home. Connor was home for about two weeks when we found him in the bassinet with Connor. That pretty much got him kicked out of the house. We tried a couple other times to let him in, but he just couldn't be trusted. So, for the past three years he has been an outside cat only. We actually didn't even feed him anymore because our neighbors loved Hadley and had five cats of their own and would always feed him after we feed him so we just stopped. He still would hang around us all the time and try to find his way back into our house time to time. He still was causing several fights with the other cats and he would show up wounded. He would also follow us when we took walks. We were sad to see him go, but we also had grown apart. Zoe is the most sad as the two of them had become good hang out friends. Anyway, after I found him dead I told Chris and he put Hadley in a box until he could get home later and bury him with the kids. The kids didn't seem to upset, but Noah and Owen did make him a head stone. After we placed Hadley in a bag, placed him in the hole and Chris started to put dirt over the hole, Connor said "Goodbye Hadley! Have fun in your bag!" Nice! We went to baseball later on that night and when we got home Connor got out of the car and said "Mom, I am going to see where Hadley got dead." Again, not sure he understands, but I am sure if it was Zoe this would be a whole different post.


Goodbye Hadley! We will miss you, but I am sure the neighborhood cats won't!
3 comments:
I laughed a lot at that post. Especially love the picture of Owen. That is a really good post. You are a really good writer. You don't get compliments too much from your brother.
David
Kristin, you sure are an amazing writer. Beautiful story and burial. No more cats, right?
Post a Comment