This was written on Kristin Armstrong's blog and it puts into words so clearly why I run. I was talking to my best friend about this the other day. So many women/mother's think that if they take care of themselves they are being selfish. We feel guilty because so many people/things need us or I can't leave the kids too long with my husband! It is ok to be selfish. It is ok to take care of yourself because I know for me I am a better mother, wife, and friend if I do. Take time for yourself! It might not be running, but whatever you need in order to refuel do it and don't worry about the kids at home or your to do list. Just enjoy your time!Refill
I thought about running, what it means to me right now, at this exact time in my life - January 2009. I have enough goals, enough responsibilities, enough items on my revolving to-do list, just like everyone else I know. If we think to much about what needs to get done, we can stagger under the weight of it all. Not just what we have to do, but the people who are depending on us to get it done. We have so many cups to fill that we are like an endlessly pouring pitcher. Some for you, some for you, here you go honey, hold it with two hands, that's it...
This is fine, better than fine, I am not complaining, like you I feel blessed to have cups to fill at all. And blessed in the attempt to fill them. But the factor we cannot neglect is not so much importance of filling the cups, but of replenishing the pitcher. And this is what finally snagged my heart. The reminder to all of us to stay filled, to remain connected to our source, to refill before we run dry. In an effort to do and be for everyone else, we often put ourselves last by default - thinking we can catch ourselves later, as long as everyone else is okay, we'll be okay too. And so we do this...grab a snack on the go instead of sitting down to a meal, skimp on sleep, forget to date our spouse, stuff an opinion or complaint for 'later', run in shoes that lost their cushion last spring. It's not okay. Taking care of ourselves and refilling our tank is not a luxury. It's just like gas in the car, only for most of us we drive too long with the indicator light flashing, on fumes and a prayer.
Making time to take care of ourselves is essential, so we don't sputter, stall and come to an inopportune (or even dangerous) halt in the middle of a busy intersection. That's what running is to me, a refill. I check in with myself, notice my levels of fuel (sleep and nutrition levels are hard to ignore on a run), get caught up with my friends, center my spirit, stave off restlessness and refocus my energy. I can feel my levels going up. After my morning run, I can return to my house, my children, my relationships, and my work and feel replenished and rejuvenated to make my offering to my world. I can do things for others throughout the day and I don't reach empty because I am starting from a place of fullness and wellbeing is best delivered by people whose pitchers are diligently and lovingly filled.
I thought about running, what it means to me right now, at this exact time in my life - January 2009. I have enough goals, enough responsibilities, enough items on my revolving to-do list, just like everyone else I know. If we think to much about what needs to get done, we can stagger under the weight of it all. Not just what we have to do, but the people who are depending on us to get it done. We have so many cups to fill that we are like an endlessly pouring pitcher. Some for you, some for you, here you go honey, hold it with two hands, that's it...
This is fine, better than fine, I am not complaining, like you I feel blessed to have cups to fill at all. And blessed in the attempt to fill them. But the factor we cannot neglect is not so much importance of filling the cups, but of replenishing the pitcher. And this is what finally snagged my heart. The reminder to all of us to stay filled, to remain connected to our source, to refill before we run dry. In an effort to do and be for everyone else, we often put ourselves last by default - thinking we can catch ourselves later, as long as everyone else is okay, we'll be okay too. And so we do this...grab a snack on the go instead of sitting down to a meal, skimp on sleep, forget to date our spouse, stuff an opinion or complaint for 'later', run in shoes that lost their cushion last spring. It's not okay. Taking care of ourselves and refilling our tank is not a luxury. It's just like gas in the car, only for most of us we drive too long with the indicator light flashing, on fumes and a prayer.
Making time to take care of ourselves is essential, so we don't sputter, stall and come to an inopportune (or even dangerous) halt in the middle of a busy intersection. That's what running is to me, a refill. I check in with myself, notice my levels of fuel (sleep and nutrition levels are hard to ignore on a run), get caught up with my friends, center my spirit, stave off restlessness and refocus my energy. I can feel my levels going up. After my morning run, I can return to my house, my children, my relationships, and my work and feel replenished and rejuvenated to make my offering to my world. I can do things for others throughout the day and I don't reach empty because I am starting from a place of fullness and wellbeing is best delivered by people whose pitchers are diligently and lovingly filled.
No comments:
Post a Comment