Thursday, August 7, 2014

Just Walk it Off!



On Tuesday morning I left the house with my boys, Bray, Charlie and our neighbors next door to head to Poole's Mill. Poole's Mill is a must do if you live in Cumming (or at least that is what I have been told). It is a mini park with a covered bridge and then a bunch of rocks to slide down. I use to do this kind of thing growing up all the time, but rumor had it from other parents that you were lucky if you got out of their without breaking a bone. I was a little hesitate about going, but I put mommy worry aside and decided we were going to do it and have fun. We got there and boy were the kids having fun. The little ones found a great place to slide and had run walking around the rocks. The four bigger ones were enjoying themselves also by sliding on some bigger rocks. They left and headed over the tree where you climb up to this branch and jump into the water.
 
 
I did not go over with them and my neighbor Tina went to watch them. When I heard about this jump I knew that Noah would probably not jump off. He isn't a risk taker, but today he decided he was going to be brave. Everyone went before him and Justin and Brady told him to bring up your legs when you jump. He worked up the courage and jumped!
Well, he came up moaning in pain. Because Noah has a tendency to be over dramatic when he gets injured no really reacted. At this point I was heading up with the little ones to see the big ones. Tina told me that she thought Noah hurt his foot, but was trying to encourage him to get on out and move it around. We all just thought he twisted it and would be fine. Noah was having an hard time getting himself out of the water and complaining the whole time about how badly it hurt. Again with his history of being over dramatic I telling him to walk it off, get it moving and he will be fine. He finally got out of the water and he was almost crying in pain. I finally got him to get over to a rock and told him to sit and rest it, but that is when I saw his foot. It was already twice as big. Something was wrong! So, I loaded up all the little ones and their stuff and then carried Noah to the car. He couldn't put any pressure on it at all and the walk to the car was not a short distance. We got home and I headed to urgent care with Noah.
After x-rays it was confirmed that he had broken his ankle! They put a soft cast on it and today we went to get his real cast. He has been using crutches and hopefully in a few days he will be able to walk on it once the swelling goes down. He has to wear the cast for three weeks. It's going to be a long three weeks for him and me! Noah and not being active do not go well together. If we were going back to public school he would of been on crutches the first couple of days of middle school. I can't imagine how terrible that would of been!
So, I am pretty sure we won't be visiting Poole's Mill anytime soon!


No comments: