"I could never be away from my kids for that long!"
"Oh wow! I would miss my kids like crazy"
"That's a lot on your husband."
"What are you going to do?"
"Aren't you going to bored?"
"Aren't you going to be lonely?"
These are just some of the remarks I got when I told other moms about my week alone. I would be away from Noah and Owen for about two weeks and away from Chris and the little ones for five days. I was excited! Five days alone! I am pretty sure it has been 11 1/2 years that I have been alone in my house for more than just a couple of hours. Oh the things I could get done! The only problem was when I talked to other moms and I would get the above remarks I would start to feel a little guilty. Should I not want to be gone from them for that long? Am I wrong for feeling excited? Am I bad mom? Of course I will miss them, but can't I be away from my kids and not feel guilty! Can't a mom get a break and not have other mom's "judge" them for taking time to themselves? I decided I was not going to feel guilty and I was going to embrace these five days to myself. I was ready!
On Monday night after the baseball game Chris, Connor, Kyle and Zoe loaded into the car to drive through the night to NJ. I got the kids already, kissed them goodbye and I headed back home. As I said goodbye I got all nervous and I started to get all emotional. This was really going to happen. I was gong to be alone and I all of sudden I was nervous and scared. I was going home to an empty house!What am I going to do? I should just go with them? I was fighting back tears and I got into the car to head back home.
I walked into my very quiet and empty house at 10:30pm and I got all emotional again. I needed to stop this and get a grip. This is what I wanted and what I needed. I went to bed and woke up the next morning ready to tackle the world with all my uninterrupted time alone.
The first day alone I spent cleaning and organizing like a mad women. After I got that done it was time to start enjoying my time alone. I have to say I really started to enjoy myself. I had no responsibilities, no plans and no demands. I could eat what I wanted, sleep when I wanted, run when I wanted, and do just about anything I wanted. I didn't feel the need to keep myself busy. I was content not having a plan or a to do list. I would take a nap, watch too much tv, and just be lazy. I had dinner with friends and felt no pressure to get home.My house was always clean! I even drove up to Dahlonega to do some exploring and hiked up Amicaola Falls all by myself. I drove with the windows open and my music playing!
Saturday morning I woke up and it was birthday. It was raining out, but I got out of bed and went for a run with two of my friends in the pouring rain. I came home to balloons, a sign and a piece of cake left for me from my sister. I had lunch with Laura and then just came home to watch meaningless tv the rest of the day. By that afternoon I started to get sad and lonely. I opened up my fridge to find milk, eggs, diet coke and eggs. I hadn't made myself or anyone else dinner in almost a week. I hadn't had to do anything for anyone and I was starting to get a little restless. It was time, I needed my family back. I needed to get back to being mom and wife.
Today is my last day by myself and I finished up any little projects I wanted to do and got ready to leave to see my family. I am so ready. These past five days were wonderful and much needed. I needed this time alone to do nothing and have no responsibility. I liked being selfish. I didn't spend the time trying to find myself again or doing any deep soul searching, it was just a mental break from my life. Would I do it again? Absolutely! I think every mom needs a couple of days alone and I loved that it was in my house. Time to go to sleep and get ready to hug my kids and be mom again!
No comments:
Post a Comment