Sunday, March 2, 2014

Owen, How Did You Do That?

Last Monday was an interesting day here at the Willis household. Chris and I brought Connor down to our peditrician's office Monday morning to have some blood work taken. Connor was having some weird stuff going on and we wanted to make sure it wasn't anything serious. Connor was all good until it was time to take his blood and then he completely freaked out and we had to hold him down while they got all the blood he needed which was just not fun at all.(All the blood work came back normal which was great!) He was not happy with us after it was over and as we drove him back to school he didn't say two words to us! We finally convinced him to go back to school and we were home for no more than 20 minutes when I got a call from the school. It was the school nurse telling me she had Owen and he injured his chest on the monkey bars and was in a lot of pain. Ok, I wasn't really following what happened because he didn't fall or hit his chest. I asked him if he wanted to come home and he said yes so I headed back up to school to pick him up. When he got into the car I realized he was in a lot of pain and when we got home and Chris pressed on his chest he started to cry. We thought it might be his collar bone so we headed to the children's urgent care. They figured it was just some pulled chest muscles but wanted to take some x-rays. Much to our surprise and the doctor's surprise he had fractured his sternum! What?!? The doctor has only ever seen this twice in 25 years. We are still not clear how this happened, but my guess is that he hurt himself sometime before Monday and then playing on the monkey bars just made it worse. There isn't much you can do for this kind of injury so he just needs to take it easy for three weeks. That means no recess, p.e. or lacrosse. That also means very boring afternoons while everyone is out playing. He has been handling it ok, but he has also had his moments of being very frustrated and bored. I feel bad for him especially since lacrosse just started. We go back on the 19th to get him checked out and hopefully cleared for regular activity. 
Owen and I hanging out at lacrosse practice! 

No comments: