This past Wednesday Michelle Obma came to visit Atlanta and was speaking at Northpoint Community Church, where my sister works.She called and told me she had a ticket for me and after I talked with Chris I decided to go. How fun to hear her speak and to be part of something historical. Rachel was going to be working with the press so I would be on my own, which I was kind of bummed about, but at the same time didn't want to miss this opportunity. About an hour before I was going to leave she called to let me know she had two more tickets and did I know if anyone wanted one. I couldn't think of anyone at such last minute notice so she casually mentioned I should bring the boys. I brushed it off, but then started to think about it and asked Chris what he thought and he said I should bring them. When would they ever get to do something like this again. So, I showed up at school and pulled them out early. They were very surprised and excited. They were so good and it was a long day! We stood in line for 2 hours waiting to get in and to go through security. Once we were in there we sat through an hour long program, then the First Lady's speech on childhood obesity and then we had to wait for about a half an hour after her speech for her to leave the property before they would even let us out of the auditorium. Once we were in the car it took us an hour and half to get home! It was all worth it and it was an adventure! I am not sure the boys got it, but they will one day.



Pictures while waiting in line in the cold for two hours!

Finally in our seats! So happy to be sitting.

The crowd around her while she was shaking hands. She is down in the front wearing white.

Here is our picture with the First Lady. Can you see her? This was my sister's idea and we can now say we have our picture with the First Lady! The funniest part of the day was before she came out to speak on childhood obesity I was telling the boys how great they were being. I told them I would get them a milkshake on the way home as a treat. We started to laugh over the fact that we were there to hear her talk about eating healthier and being active. So, when we were leaving and waiting to exit the auditorium a women asked the boys how they liked the speech and if they will now eat more vegetables and fruits? Noah says "Well, my mom is going to get us a milkshake for dinner tonight!" Nice! I just started to laugh that is all I could do! It was fun and long day. I hope they will always remember this experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment