Friday, August 23, 2013

Update on School

Well, we have been in school for about two and half weeks. I thought I needed to give an update after the terrible first day Owen had. By the end of the first week of school Owen was happy and made some friends. One of the boys that he sits next to actually goes to our church and they really have hit it off. He is enjoying Murdock, but his teacher is tough this year. He gets a lot of homework and she expects them to be very organized. He can handle the work load but the organizing part and making sure he has everywhere it needs to be has been a challenge. It is good for him though!
Noah has had a great time since the first day and continues to be very happy. He also has been great about getting his work done and not complaining about it which is great. I have taken on a new approach with homework with him this year. I am no longer sitting next to him and doing it with him it causes a lot of frustration on both of us. He does it on his own and I will make sure it is done, but in the end I leave it up to the teachers to correct his writing. I might make a suggestion, but that is all.  I need him to hear it from his teachers if it isn't right because he will not take advice from me at all. What do I know?!? It has taken away a lot of stress during homework time.
 As for Connor....he was SUPER excited to start, but after a couple of days he wasn't as excited anymore. By Friday of that week he tried to get me to let him stay home. On Monday after the first weekend he said he was sick and refused to go to school, I mean flat out refused. I even tried to drag him to the bus stop and he wouldn't move! I gave up and let him stay home. The next two days he refused to get on the bus so we walked to school. He would tell me that he was missed me too much and he wanted to be home with me. He would come home in a terrible mood and just exhausted. It was rough for a couple of days, but I am happy to say that we have turned a corner and he is going to school without a fight.
 The best thing about our new school is that we get to walk! In the morning we will either walk or take the bus depending on everyone's mood, but every afternoon they walk home. The bus does get them home faster, but it is a nice way to end the day. So we are officially in the swing of things and so far so good!

No comments: