Monday, September 1, 2014

Labor Day Camping

This past weekend with went camping with the Rings. Let's just say the kids had a blast. Camping is just a lot of work. Lots of stuff to pack (and I mean lots), lots of pre-planning., and lots of food to bring.To top it off we just finished our first week of homeschooling and to say that it was bit stressful and I was a bit tired would be an understatement.  We were planning for three nights in the beautiful North Georgia mountains at Vogel State Park. We all arrived late afternoon on Friday and began the set up process. The kids were super excited. That evening went well and we all actually slept pretty well. On Saturday we did a little bit of everything and by that afternoon we started to hear of a chance of some rain. We headed out to the near by town to grab some pizza and by the time we got home it was pouring rain. It was coming down so hard that we didn't even bother to get out of the car. I had to leave that night because I had to be at work on Sunday morning and we all just assumed it would pass so I took off. Let's just say it didn't pass and Chris will tell you that it was one of the scariest nights he has experienced. The wind, rain, thunder and lighting were crazy. When I talked with Chris that morning he didn't sound happy. It rained so hard that everything was wet! Connor's hair was even wet. By the time I got back up their things were starting to dry out and the kids were having fun, the adults looked a little worn out. We enjoyed the rest of the day by swimming, playing mini golf, paddle boarding and canoeing. We head back up to the campsite to start dinner and it starts to rain again. Chris and Dave look at each other and said, we are done. Let's pack up and go home. So we ended up just throwing everything into the car and heading home to our warm, dry beds for a good nights sleep. It was the best decision as we had a lot of cleaning up to do which is also what makes camping a lot of work! 

 It was a beautiful place to camp with lots for the kids to do and explore. 
 On Saturday we went to Helton Creek Falls where the kids splashed around in the very cold and clear water. 







I didn't take a ton of pictures, but the kids had so much fun! I also loved being able to hang out with the Rings. Camping is fun but is not relaxing. You don't really get to sit and just relax much especially with a bunch of kids. Chris and I would love to camp more but I think we would have to invest in some more camping supplies and possibly a pop-up. I think that would be more my kind of camping.

No comments: